Acupuncture can help your pet lead a healthier, more comfortable life by relieving or eliminating many common ailments. Acupuncture is part of traditional Chinese medicine that involves the insertion of small sterile needles in specific locations (called Acupuncture points) on the body in order to cause a therapeutic effect.
Acupuncture points are located mainly at junctions of large nerve bundles, Mast cells, lymphatics and blood vessels. Modern research showed that Acupuncture stimulates the release of pain relieving and anti-inflammatory substances (including Serotonin, Endorphine and Norepinephrine), improves tissue blood flow and oxygenation, removes toxins from the body, and boosts the immune system.
Acupuncture is a safe therapy with no side effects. It stimulates the body to heal itself, helping to avoid the use of medications. Acupuncture is rarely painful because acupuncture points are stimulated using very fine needles, almost as thin as a hair. Over 95% of patients are comfortable with acupuncture therapy. Due to relaxation effect, some animals will fall asleep during acupuncture treatments.
Acupuncture stimulation have many Therapeutic and physiological effects and can be used as the sole or conjunction therapy for:
- Pain management.
- Cancer treatment; either as a sole therapy or to help limit side-effects from chemotherapy and improve general quality of life.
- Neurological disorders such as Inter-vertebral disc disease (IVDD), Degenerative Myelopathy (DM), Nerve paralysis or damage, Seizures or Epilepsy, Urinary and Fecal Incontinence.
- Pet allergies and recurrent skin infections.
- Gastro-intestinal disorders such as Inflammatory bowl disease (IBD), chronic diarrhea and vomiting.
- Respiratory problems such as Asthma, Tracheal collapse, Chronic cough.
- Internal organ disease such as Kidney, Heart, or Liver diseases or failure.
- Autoimmune diseases such as Immune-mediated hemolytic anemia, Immune-mediated thrombocytopenia, Eosinophilic granuloma in cats.
- Behavioral issues such as Anxiety, aggression, reactivity, … .
- Endocrine disorders such as Hypothyroidism, Cushing’s disease, Addison’s disease.
Want to learn if your pet can benefit from holistic and alternative veterinary medicine such as Acupuncture? Call Legacy Veterinary Clinic; we care for you and your pets with love and kindness.